When we are dealing with deep upset and unbalance, sometimes life feels just too big for us to handle ourselves. When there are no friends to talk to, talking to a tree can be a great help for grounding us. I know it sounds all new-agey and tree-hugging-ish but there is method in my madness! Energetically, trees ARE bigger than us, and they can handle the big emotions when we cannot.
If you want to try this, it might be good to try it when you are not deeply upset. It means that you will be doing something you are already familiar with when you do need it. I have another method for “very deeply upset” which I will mention at the end of this post.
- Go for a walk to find a big, old tree, one that has a very strong trunk and tall tall branches. An Oak tree or a Scots Pine are my favourite types of tree for this work. See if it feels comfortable to be near it. Approach the tree, with your hands open and say hello. Now you don’t have to say “hello” with your voice out loud, but you can do this with your energy, like Harry Potter when he learns how to cast spells with his mind. You can say things loudly with your mind and your intention, so say a big “Hello!” to the tree. Approach the tree and place your hands on its trunk, and ask it with your intention if you can work with it today.
- You may feel a resounding yes, you might feel nothing. But if you feel anything negative at all, that’s a no, and please do trust your instinct on this. If you get a no, the tree might be damaged and not able to help you out today, so give thanks for the dialogue and go find another tree!
- When you get a yes, say thanks to the tree and begin to work with it. How? Well, start from the ground. Imagine your energy is going to mix with the energy of the tree. Start at your feet and go down through the earth, connect into the root system of the tree and go deep deep down with the taproot. Imagine the soil, the stones, the bedrock, imagine going down further until you hit the deepest layers of the earth.
- When you are connected to the earth, track your body up from your feet, to your stomach, chest and neck, and then your head. Draw a chord of your energy out from your head and mix it with the energy of the tree – up up up into the sky with the tall branches, shoot it right out of your head. Just as the tree reaches up to the sun for light, you call in this light into your body, draw it down into you with the help of the tree, so you are now mixing the sun and the earth, and your energy has expanded.
- Breathe that way for a while. It should feel different to how you were before you started. When you are ready, ask the tree if it will help you “dump” the emotional burden you are carrying into the earth, deep into the root system to be turned into something a little more useful for Mother Earth. (Mother Earth can transform the energy of our pain into energy of growth and nurturing for the plants and insects). With your breath, blow all your stress, anxiety, trauma through the energy chords you have generated downwards and into the earth. Ask the tree for help if you can’t do it yourself. You might get a little light-headed at this point so go gently with the blowing!
- Once you are feeling better, when you are ready, draw in some more sunlight in through the top of your head. Stay like this for a while. What is great about this work is that you can do it all in a public place and people will just see you standing beside a tree with your hands on the tree trunk!.
- When you feel able to, slowly untangle your energy body from the tree, disconnect completely from it (very important to make sure it’s a complete disentanglement) and once again, give thanks to the tree for holding you while you let go of whatever it was you had to let go of.
Now, some people might find working with trees an easy thing to do, others may have trouble and need to practice. If you feel this is something you would like to do and are having trouble with it, or you want to try it with me, you can contact me via www.abby-wynne.com Even if you are not based in Dublin, I would be happy to talk you through it on the email.
And for that “very very deeply upset” method, you can do this in your garden: Lie prostrate on the grass, facing downwards. Open your heart into the grass, and call to mother earth to help you, to take away all the pain you are carrying so that you can manage. She will. That’s why she is here.